Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Afghanistan - What to Do?

What is the best way to end this war? What would even qualify as "winning" this war? Can anyone, ever, win a war? After half-watching "Frontline" tonight I feel sick at the words, the weapons, the ways in which military and political strategists try to figure out ... what? How to contain and defeat Al Quaeda? How to stop the Taliban? How to find and capture Bid Laden? How to "win the hearts and minds of the people?" - now also discussed as "counter-insurgency." I remember so many of these same ways of talking and fighting from 40 years ago during the war in Viet Nam. "When will we ever learn?"

I pray that the killing, the fear, panic, and retribution will all end. I pray that women, who were almost completely missing in any discussion in the Frontline special, will find a way to claim their power and influence and work on the men, their sons, husbands and fathers, to stop this senseless destruction. I pray that the soldiers from the United States will be able to maintain themselves without succumbing to the hatred and rage that such fighting can engender. I pray that they may soon return home in good physical and mental health. I pray that our leaders may finally sort out just what they are trying to accomplish by having our troops in Afghanistan and Iraq. May they seek to accomplish peace, not war. Amen.

No comments: