Friday, October 23, 2009

A New Approach II

As October flies by, I've decided to spend the rest of the month focusing on the "other" news. That is, I will focus on the activities and news of those who are working for change with integrity, making manifest the values I share and which I believe lead in the direction of the reign of God.

As readers of this blog may recall, I've been listening to Jim Wallis's audiobook, The Next Awakening. He makes it clear that working to advocate for a moral politics is essential to being a Christian. In the next week or two, I'll be searching the news and the blogosphere to find examples of those people and organizations who are leaders in moral politics and advocacy.

To that end, I would like to highlight the action day of 350.org. It is co-founded by Bill McKibben, and its goal is to reduce carbon in the atmosphere to 350 ppm. The current measure is between 370 and 390 ppm, which is far too high. Without major changes the concentration is expected to rise to 450 ppm relatively soon. If that happens, major climate problems will escalate. Kudos to all the activists lifting up the seriousness of this issue, and pointing at directions we can take.

My prayer is that the actions of 350.org will create a sense of moral urgency and commitment to carbon emission reduction. I pray that they will achieve their goals and that enough of us will learn about what we can do, where we need to lend our voices and how we can work with others to help in achieving atmospheric carbon reductions.

No comments: